1. What hardware and software do I need for using clicker in my class and where can I get them?
Each instructor who is planning to use clickers in their classroom will be provided with a receiver, a clicker, and a quick start guide for instructor. Please fill out a request form at for the equipment.
If you want to download the software to your own computer, it is available for free download at http://www.turningtechnologies.com/responsesystemsupport/downloads/. You will see two tabs: Current Release and Legacy. We are now using the programs listed under Legacy. Please click Legacy and download the following four applications.
- TurningPoint: a PowerPoint plug-in for creating questions and polling questions
- TuringPoint Anywhere: for creating simple, standalone polls (i.e. not tied to any particular presentation software)
- ResultsManager: Manage results stored in session files of Turning Technologies’ polling software. Track participant performance, add participation points and determine cumulative scores.
- TurningKey: for self-paced testing.
You can use all four applications or choose to use any of them. Some of the applications have both No Install Version and Install Version. The No Install Version is good for running the program from a portable drive.
2. I use a Mac with PowerPoint 2008 installed. However, the TurningPoint software for Mac is for Office 2004. What should I do?
Unfortunately TurningPoint does not have the integration with Office 2008. The software with Office 2011 integration has not been released yet. We suggest you use TurningPoint Anywhere, which is independent of Office products and can be used for stand-alone polls.
3. Do I need to bring the receiver when I go to my class?
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) has installed permanent TurniningPoint receiver in about 50 classrooms and assigned each with a unique channel. After you log on to the podium computer, you will see if the receiver is available and what channel is used. If you choose to use the podium computer in any of these rooms, you don't need to bring your receiver. However, if you prefer using your own laptop, you need to use your own receiver.
Please see a list of classrooms with receiver installed and channel assigned. If your classroom is not on the list and you want the receiver installed there, please contact Classroom Support in OIT to request the installation, either by calling 404-894-4669, or submitting a ticket at
1. How can I let my students know that they need to purchase a clicker for my class?
When you submit your textbook order to the bookstore, please specify that the clicker will be used for the class.
2. Where can my students purchase the clicker?
The clicker is available for purchase at the Barnes & Noble Georgia Tech bookstore. It is also available online at http://store.turningtechnologies.com (school code is GATECH).
3. Where do my students register their clicker?
In T-Square. You need to add the Clickers tool to your course in T-Square before your students can register their clicker.
To add the tool, log on to T-Square, go to your course site, click Site Info on the left menu, click Edit Tools on the top, select Clickers from the list, and follow the step-by-step procedure to complete adding the tool.
4. Should I tell my students to enter their GT account or the 9-digit GT ID into their clicker or ResponseWare account as user ID?
Please tell your students to use their GT account as the user ID. We recommend using their GT account as the clicker user ID for the following reasons:
- Avoiding any potential FERPA issue.
- Easily communicating with T-Square, which uses the GT account as user ID.
- It is very easy to enter both letters and numbers on the clicker.
5. Is there a clicker specially designed for the visually impaired?
Yes, braille ResponseCard RF is a designed for the visually impaired. The keypad contains all the features and functionality of a clicker, but with Braille characters adjacent to the corresponding buttons. In addition, it includes a vibration motor that pulses when various actions occur. If you cannot find it in the bookstore, contact Turning Technologies for purchasing. Detailed information is available here.
1. Can my students use their laptop or mobile devices instead of the clicker?
ResponseWare allows students to respond by using their laptop or mobile devices as a web-based clicker. More information about ResponseWare can be found at the web page below:
Please note that
- ResponseWare is NOT free. Students need to pay a license fee in order to use it.
- ResponseWare requires internet access in order to send and receive data to your question polls.
- ResponseWare does NOT support self-paced testing.
- We cannot provide any support if students have any difficulty with Wi-Fi or data connection when using their mobile devices.
2. If I allow my students to use laptop or mobile devices as web-based clicker, do they need to register in T-Square too?
Yes. Once they purchase a ResponseWare license, they will receive an email with their license code and instructions to set up a ResponseWare account. After they set up the account, they will be given a device ID. They need to register this device ID in T-Square so that they can be identified when they use the web-based clicker in your class.
3. If I allow my students use laptop or mobile devices as web-based clicker, what do I need to do?
- Please email Chaohua Ou and she will set up an account for you to use ResponseWare. The information she needs from you is your email address that is to be used as the user name for the account. Once the account is set up, you will receive an email with your account information.
- Before you conduct a clicker session, you need to enable ResponseWare through TurningPoint 2008 or TurningPoint Anywhere by using your ResponseWare account. Once you log in, a session ID will be displayed. Students using web-based clicker will join your class by entering this ID on their devices.
4. When I use ResponseWare, I get a different session ID every time I enable it in class. Can I get a session ID reserved for my classes?
Yes, you may reserve ONE session ID for your classes so that your students do not need to enter different session ID when they come to class. To reserve your session ID, please go to http://www.rwpoll.com, log on with your ResponseWare account, and you will see you have the option of Reserve or change your session ID.
5. When I use ResponseWare, should I allow guests or require login?
If you allow guests, participants who do not have a ResponseWare account can attend your class session. However, they won't be identified.
1. I use the podium computer in my class. How do I know which channel is used in the room?
If a receiver is already installed on the computer, the channel number is displayed on the screen. You may tell your students to use the channel number to join your class.
2. If I use my laptop in my class, which channel should I use?
OIT has installed permanent receiver in some classrooms. If you are going to use your own laptop in these rooms, please check which channel is used on the podium computer in the room. Then use a different channel on your laptop.
The default channel for a receiver is 41. You may change it to another channel. OIT suggests instructors use channel 1 - 15 on their laptop. To view and change the channel in TurningPoint software, please refer to this demo.
3. Where can I download my participant list after my students have registered?
You can download your participant list by connecting to the T-Square through TurningPoint software (Tools >> Integration). Please make sure that the URL for T-Square server is:
You will be asked for your GT account when connecting to T-Square. After it is connected, you will see a list of your courses. Select the course you want to download the roster from. If you don't see any of your courses listed, most probably you haven't added the Clickers tool to your course site in T-Square yet. If you don't know how to add the tool, please refer to Question 5.
4. Do I need to load my participant list before I conduct a click session?
Yes. By default, the participant list is set to Auto. You need to select your participant list before you start conducting a clicker session.
If you use TurningPoint 2008, you can select the participant list from the TurningPoint Settings Panel.
5. I forgot to load my participant list when conducting a clicker session. What can I do now?
TurningPoint will allow you to link the participant list after the fact if the original session was run using the Auto setting for the participant list.
1) Select Continue Prior Session from the TurningPoint toolbar.
2) Select the session.
3) Select the desired list from the Participant List choices.
4) Save the session with a new name.
5) This will add the list to the newly saved session.
6. How do I save my session data?
To save the session data file, select the Disk icon on your TurningPoint toolbar.
At the end of the session, when you close the TurningPoint software, you will be asked if you want to save the session data, please select Yes and save the data in your computer or a portable drive.
7. Can I export grades from TurningPoint software to T-Square?
Yes, you may connect from TurningPoint to T-Square through Tools >> Integration and then export the grades. Please refer to this demo on how to connect.
Please double check the grades before you export them. After the grades are exported, they are not editable in T-Square. If you need to update the grades, you need to export the updated version.
8. How can I give my teaching assistants permissions to help manage the clicker system?
You can do that in T-Square. Go to your T-Square course site, click Turning Technologies tool (if you haven’t added the tool, please refer to Question 5 on how to add it). Then click Permissions on the top, check the box under Access for Teaching Assistant, and click Update.
9. I have many PowerPoint slides with PRS questions I used before. How can I convert them to TurningPoint slides?
1) Confirm that the existing slide is in Title/Text layout for Office 03 or Title/Content layout for Office 07
2)Select Insert Object from the TurningPoint toolbar
3)Select Chart from the dropdown menu. This will insert a chart into your existing slide, converting it into an interactive response slide.
1) Save your existing PowerPoint slides as a RTF file
2) Open the RTF file in Word and save it as a Word document
3) Open TurningPoint 2008 and import the Word document.
If neither of the above options works for you, contact Turning Technologies customer support: 1-866-746-3015 (M-F, 7am-9pm, EST).
1. Are there any user guides and manuals for using the TurningPoint software?
Yes, you may find them at http://turningtechnologies.com/training-support/legacy-products-training/documents .
2.Where do I get training on using the clicker?
CETL will coordinate with Turning Technologies and schedule group training for faculty and TAs at the beginning of each semester. The schedule will be announced before each semester starts. Departmental or individual training will be available upon request:
Online tutorials and training are also available from the Turning Technologies web site at:
3. Where can I get support when I have technical issues on using the clicker?
If you have difficulty in using the clicker system on the podium computer in classrooms, please contact OIT Classroom Support, either by calling 404-894-4669, or submitting a ticket requesting for assistance at http://www.oit.gatech.edu/service/classroom-support/report-problem.
If you have difficulty in using the clicker system on your own computer, check with the CSR in your department for assistance or call the Turning Technologies customer support: 1-866-746-3015 (7am-9pm, EST, Monday through Friday).
4. Are there any resources on using clicker for students?
Yes, please refer to Clicker FAQs for Students.