We will upgrade the clicker software to its latest version, TurningPoint 5, in Fall 2013.
The clicker software we are using currently includes four separate programs: TurningPoint 2008, TurningPoint Anywhere, TurningKey, and ResultsManager. TurningPoint 5 consolidates these four programs into one, simple interface and encompasses their functionality. There are a few things that we would like you to know about this upgrade:
- No hardware replacement is required. TurningPoint 5 is compatible with the receiver you use. It is also compatible with the clicker (ResponseCard NXT) and web-based clicker (ResponseWare) that students have been using.
- Clicker registration for students in T-Square will remain the same. As a reminder, you still need to add the Clickers tool to your course site in T-Square before your students can register their device.
- Reusing course materials: Course materials created previously in TurningPoint 2008, TurningPoint Anywhere, and TurningKey can be used in TurningPoint 5.
- Software installation: TurningPoint 5 will be available on OIT classroom computers, starting from Fall 2013. If you want to download it to your own computers, it is available for free download at:
- Integration with T-Square: TurningPoint 5 will be integrated with T-Square, allowing you to connect directly from the program to T-Square for downloading participant list and uploading grades. The integration will not be implemented until Fall 2013 and it will not affect the courses taught in this summer or in previous semesters.
- Changes to the clicker software we are currently using: TurningPoint 2008, TurningPoint Anywhere, and TurningKey will continue to be available on OIT classroom computers for Fall 2013. However, they will not be integrated with T-Square any more. There will be no direct connection between these programs and T-Square. Downloading participant list and uploading grades will have to be done through exporting and importing manually.
- Training: We will be offering training workshops on using TurningPoint 5 on Friday, August 9, 2013. Details about the workshops and registration are available at:
Tutorials and self-paced training are available at:
1. What hardware do I need for using clicker in my class and where can I get them?
Each instructor who is planning to use clickers in their classroom will be provided with an instructor kit that includes a receiver, a clicker, and a quick start guide for instructor. Please submit a request for the instructor kit.
2. Do I need to bring the receiver when I go to my class?
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) has installed permanent TurniningPoint receiver in about 50 classrooms and assigned each with a unique channel. After you log on to the podium computer, you will see if the receiver is available and what channel is used. If you choose to use the podium computer in any of these rooms, you don't need to bring your receiver. However, if you prefer using your own laptop, you need to use your own receiver.
Please see a list of classrooms with receiver installed and channel assigned. If your classroom is not on the list and you want the receiver installed there, please contact Classroom Support in OIT to request the installation, either by calling 404-894-4669, or submitting a ticket at
3. Is the clicker software installed on the class computers?
The TurningPoint software is installed on most of the classroom computers. Please double check the classroom details to make sure if it is available in the classroom you use before your first class:
4. I want to download the clicker software to my own computer. Where can I download it?
It is available for free download at:
We will upgrade from TurningPoint 2008 to TurningPoint 5, starting from Fall 2013.
TurningPoint 5 has PC and Mac version. For PC users, it has both No Install Version and Install Version. The No Install Version is good for running the program from a portable drive.
1. How can I let my students know that they need to purchase a clicker for my class?
When you submit your textbook order to the bookstore, please specify that the clicker will be used for the class.
2. Where can my students purchase the clicker?
The clicker is available for purchase at the Barnes & Noble Georgia Tech bookstore. It is also available online at http://store.turningtechnologies.com (school code is GATECH).
3. Is there a clicker specially designed for the visually impaired?
Yes, braille ResponseCard RF is designed for the visually impaired. The keypad contains all the features and functionality of a clicker, but with Braille characters adjacent to the corresponding buttons. In addition, it includes a vibration motor that pulses when various actions occur. If you cannot find it in the bookstore, contact Turning Technologies for purchasing. Detailed information is available here.
4. Where do my students register their clicker?
In T-Square. You need to add the Clickers tool to your course in T-Square before your students can register their clicker.
To add the tool, log on to T-Square, go to your course site, click Site Info on the left menu, click Edit Tools on the top, select Clickers from the list, and follow the step-by-step procedure to complete adding the tool.
5. Should I tell my students to enter their GT account or the 9-digit GT ID into their clicker or ResponseWare account as user ID?
Please tell your students to use their GT account as the user ID. We recommend using their GT account as the clicker user ID for the following reasons:
- Avoiding any potential FERPA issue.
- Easily communicating with T-Square, which uses the GT account as user ID.
- It is very easy to enter both letters and numbers on the clicker.
6. How can I remind students to register their clickers?
Go to your course site in T-Square, select Clickers on the left menu, and click the button Send Email to Unregistered Students. Students who haven't registered will get an email telling them to register.
7. Is it possible to find out when a student registered his clicker?
Unfortunately no. The Clickers tool does not provide the feature to track when a clicker was registered.
1. Can my students use their laptop or mobile devices as a web-based clicker?
ResponseWare allows students to respond by using their laptop or mobile devices as a web-based clicker. More information about ResponseWare can be found at the web page below:
Please note that
- ResponseWare is NOT free. Students need to pay a license fee in order to use it.
- ResponseWare requires internet access in order to send and receive data to your question polls.
- ResponseWare does NOT support self-paced testing.
- We cannot provide any support if students have any difficulty with Wi-Fi or data connection when using their mobile devices.
2. If I allow my students to use laptop or mobile devices as web-based clicker, do they need to register in T-Square too?
Yes. Once they purchase a ResponseWare license, they will receive an email with their license code and instructions to set up a ResponseWare account. After they set up the account, they will be given a device ID. They need to register this device ID in T-Square so that they can be identified when they use the web-based clicker in your class.
3. If I allow my students use laptop or mobile devices as web-based clicker, what do I need to do?
- Please email Chaohua Ou and she will set up an account for you to use ResponseWare. The information she needs from you is your email address that is to be used as the user name for the account. Once the account is set up, you will receive an email with your account information.
- Before you conduct a clicker session, you need to connect to ResponseWare once you open TurningPoint 5 (see a screen capture). Once you log in with your ResponseWare account, a session ID will be displayed. Students using web-based clicker will join your class by entering this ID on their devices.
4. When I use ResponseWare, I get a different session ID every time I enable it in class. Can I get a session ID reserved for my classes?
Yes, you may reserve ONE session ID for your classes so that your students do not need to enter different session ID when they come to class. To reserve your session ID, please go to http://www.rwpoll.com, log on with your ResponseWare account, and you will see you have the option of Reserve or change your session ID.
5. When I use ResponseWare, should I allow guests or require login?
If you allow guests, participants who do not have a ResponseWare account can attend your class session. However, they won't be identified.
1. My students ask me which channel is used for my class. Where can I find the information?
When you first open the TurningPoint 5 software (make sure you are under the Polling tab), you will find the channel number displayed under Receiver, if a receiver is already plugged in to the computer you use (see a screen capture). Clicking on the number will allow you to change the channel number.
2. Can I show the channel number on my question slides?
Yes, clicking on the connection icon on the polling bar will display/hide the channel number on your slides (see a screen capture).
3. Where can I download my participant list after my students have registered?
You can download your participant list by connecting to the T-Square through TurningPoint 5 ( Manage >> Participant List >> New >> Download from Integration >> Create List. Select Sakai as the LMS, The server address is:
The user name and password will be your GT Account user name and password. After it is connected, you will see a list of your courses. Select the course you want to download the roster from. If you don't see any of your courses listed, most probably you haven't added the Clickers tool to your course site in T-Square yet (to add it to the site, go to Site Info >> Edit Tools).
4. I forgot to load my participant list when conducting a clicker session. Can I still identify the data I collected?
When you polled questions without using a participant list, the session data will be listed under Manage >> Auto. If you already downloaded a participant list, simply drag the session data and drop it under the participant list of the class. Then the responses in the session data will be identified, if your students have registered their clickers.
If you haven't downloaded the participant list, you need to download it first. Please refer to the above question on how to do that.
5. I accidentally polled questions anonymously. Can the data still be identified by using a participant list?
Unfortunately no. Data collected through polling anonymously can not be identified.
6. How do I save my session data?
To save the session data file, select the Disk icon on your TurningPoint toolbar.
At the end of the session, when you close the TurningPoint 5 software, you will be asked if you want to save the session data, please select Yes and save the data in your computer or a portable drive.
7. Can I export grades from TurningPoint 5 to T-Square?
Yes, you may connect from TurningPoint 5 to T-Square through Manage >> Results Manager >> Integration and then export the grades.
8. How do update the grades that I already uploaded to T-Square?
Two options: 1) upload the updated grades to T-Square through Manage >> Results Manager >> Integration; 2) go to your T-Square site >> Gradebook and edit the grades there.
9. How can I give my teaching assistants permissions to help manage the clicker system?
You can do that in T-Square. Go to your T-Square course site, select Clickers tool (if you haven’t added the tool, add it first through Site Info >> Edit Tools). Then click Permissions on the top, check the box under Access for Teaching Assistant, and click Update.
1. Are there any user guides and manuals for using the TurningPoint software?
Yes, you may find them at http://turningtechnologies.com/training-support/legacy-products-training/documents .
2.Where do I get training on using the clicker?
CETL will coordinate with Turning Technologies and schedule group training for faculty and TAs at the beginning of each semester. The schedule will be announced before each semester starts. Departmental or individual training will be available upon request:
Online tutorials and training are also available from the Turning Technologies web site at:
3. Where can I get support when I have technical issues on using the clicker?
If you have difficulty in using the clicker system on the podium computer in classrooms, please contact OIT Classroom Support, either by calling 404-894-4669, or submitting a ticket requesting for assistance at http://www.oit.gatech.edu/service/classroom-support/report-problem.
If you have difficulty in using the clicker system on your own computer, check with the CSR in your department for assistance or call the Turning Technologies customer support: 1-866-746-3015 (7am-9pm, EST, Monday through Friday).
4. Are there any resources on using clicker for students?
Yes, please refer to Clicker FAQs for Students.